Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Hex Hall (Hex Hall #1) [Review]

Title: Hex Hall 
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Series: Hex Hall Series 
Publisher: Hyperion Teens
Release Date: March 2nd, 2010
Hardcover: 323 pages
Average Star Rating: 4.06


Synopsis (from Publisher):
Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she is a witch. Her non-gifted mother has been supportive, consulting Sophie’s estranged father—a warlock—only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it’s her dad who exiles her to “Hex Hall”, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, fairies, and shape-shifters.
By the end of her first day, Sophie has three new enemies, a futile crush on a warlock, a tagalong ghost, and a vampire roommate. Worse, Sophie soon learns that an unknown predator has been attacking students. As a series of blood-curdling mysteries converges, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.



My Thoughts:
I am a huge fan of witches, whether it be in books or movies or TV shows. My favorite witch-y show was Bewitched. So when I won this book through a giveaway, I was super excited to read it because I hadn't read a witch book in quite some time. I've always wanted to be a witch. Where I could just snap my fingers and manifest anything that I ever wanted. You know like Sabrina or Samantha (from Bewitched). So, you can tell that I was really excited to read this book and thankfully, the excitement never ended.


So why did I love this book so much, you ask? Well, for one, witches. However, I liked the characters, the plot, the writing, and so much more.


I absolutely fell in love with the main character, Sophia Mercer. She is very relatable and humorous (whether she says something funny or she does something that you just cannot help but to laugh at). This book had me laughing a lot because of the quick-witted remarks. I love that about books. I also have to say that I am definitely on Team Archer. The romance within this series has potential. I am looking forward to what Rachel Hawkins will write next. 


This book had me so enthralled that I read it in basically a day and the second I finished it, I had to go and by the second book. This book was a bit predictable, yet, not to where the ending completely threw me. This is a wonderfully written, fast paced, and easy read. Hex Hall has a little bit of everything in it-- mystery, love, heartache, friendship, finding self, humor, family and their issues, etc. It is definitely worth it to pick this book up and get an exciting and enchanting dose of bewitchment.


Memorable Quotes:
“Good luck explaining to God that you used to spank one of his heavenly beings."
Mom gave a startled laugh. "Sophie!"
"What? You did. I hope you like hot weather, Mom, that's all I'm saying.”



“Archer isn't hot anymore.... He tried to kill me, and his girlfriend is Satan.”


“But this room looked like it had been decorated by the unholy lovechild of Barbie and Strawberry Shortcake.” 


“When someone tells you somebody’s been murdered, laughing is probably not the best response. You know, for future reference. But laughing is exactly what I did.”


“I should say upfront that I have never been in a cellar in my life. In fact, I can see no reason why anyone should ever go into a cellar unless there is wine involved.” 
       -This one I so agree with! :D


My Rating: 
4.5/5 Stars


xo
Stephanie

1 comment:

  1. I love this book and witches too. the tv show that i watched with witches was Sabrina the Teenage witch. This book is written well and has great characters.

    ReplyDelete