Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Demonglass (Hex Hall #1) [Review]

Title: Demonglass
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Series: Hex Hall Series 
Publisher: Hyperion Teens
Release Date: March 22nd, 2011
Paperback: 329 pages
Average Star Rating: 4.28


Synopsis (from Publisher):
Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch. That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and fairies). But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth. Turns out, Sophie's a demon, one of only two in the world—the other being her father.
What's worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will destroy her powers. But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. Her new friends? They're demons too. Meaning someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they're using Acher to do it. But it's not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?
My Review:
What can I say about Demonglass? Why is it always so hard to talk about a book you liked rather than disliked? Well, for starters, I couldn't put Demonglass down. I loved it. This is the book that turned me from Team Archer to Team Cal. I absolutely love the main character, Sophie. She's hilarious and so relatable. When I finished this book I was so lucky that I only had a few days to wait for the new one because it definitely left with a cliffhanger.


This book had a lot of drama and kept me on my toes. It was just an adventure after another. The ending is crazy because I ended up really liking Sophie's dad and with the cliffhanger, you really don't know what's going to happen. But Sophie's quick wit is one of the things that you can always count on to put a smile on your face. Even when she's faced with danger, she still can pull something out. :D


All-in-all, I love, love, loved this book!


Memorable Quotes:
“Wow, Cross. I think you missed your calling. Screw demon hunting: you should clearly be writing Hallmark cards.” 


“I wondered if there were ever times when Dad didn't sound like he escaped from a Jane Austen novel.”


“Irish girls, red hair,' I replied, remembering a picture of them from Mrs. Casnoff's 'People Who Want to Kill Us All' lecture at Hex Hall last year.”


“Cal stepped forward, hopefully to come to my rescue.
"I could toss her off the pier, Ms. Vanderlyden."
Or not.”



“Oh, God, if that's where this woman had gotten her Sophie Mercer gossip, I was surprised she'd greeted me with a handshake instead of an exorcism.”


“Dad was at his desk when I opened the door, doing what all British people do when they're freaked out: drinking tea.”


“So did The Eye come here looking for me?"
"Actually, we came because we heard it was free corn dog night. Imagine our disappointment.”



“We could try to go together, "I said. "I think we'd both fit, and that way, if we end up transported to another dimension or morphed into a wall, at least we'd have company.”


My Rating:
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment